Scotland is a beautiful country, rich with history and studded with breathtaking sights. If you aren’t limited to taxi cabs and public transportation, the possibilities for Scottish sightseeing are nearly endless! Check out some of the amazing things to see and do in Scotland if you choose to secure a rented vehicle from a car hire company.
1. St. Andrew’s Cathedral- Once the largest and most stunning cathedral in Scotland, St. Andrew’s now lies in ruin. The exterior walls of the cathedral are particularly well preserved, offering visitors a breathtaking reminder of its previous magnificence. the Cathedral Museum finds its home on the old cathedral grounds and houses all of the Cathedral’s ancient relics, including St. Andrew’s Sarcophagus.
2. St. Andrew’s Castle- Admissible by joint ticket with St. Andrew’s Cathedral, this historic castle dates back to the 13th century. The Castle housed the bishops and archbishops of St. Andrew’s Cathedral and is rich with history. Visitors can explore the ancient dungeons and mines that lie beneath the castle.
3. Threave Garden and Estate- A carefully tended all-seasons garden, Threave Garden is known for its daffodils in springtime, its stunning array of colorful plants in summer, and its thick heather gardens in autumn. From wildflowers to greenhouse flowers, Threave Garden has a gorgeous array of plant life studding an endless network of estate trails that thrive with wildlife.
4. St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art- The St. Mungo Museum may focus heavily on religion, but its unique displays house relics sure to please every visitor. With art and relics that explore life, death, and the hereafter, St. Mungo’s finds its association with each of Scotland’s many religious heritages. The museum also houses Great Britain’s only truly authentic Japanese Zen Garden.
5. The Loch Ness Centre- World famous for its seven room automated walkthrough, the Loch Ness Centre retells the mythical Loch Ness story from the Ice Age to the present day. The Loch Ness Centre houses impressive equipment, such as the world’s largest inflatable, sonar devices, research vessels, and more. A variety of on-site shopping outlets ensure that your visit will be well remembered.
Scotland is a country that is rich with history and culture, but also offers much for the modern tourist. With a variety of shopping outlets, theaters, concerts, and more, Scotland is as rich in modern attractions as it is in historical sites. Travelling Scotland after renting a vehicle from a car hire company opens up the possibilities for sightseeing in this beautiful country. When booking your trip to Scotland, be sure to speak with a respected car hire company to truly embrace the spirit of tourism.
This has been a guest post from Skedaddle Car Hire, the experts at car travel.